I believe and will share these perfectly safe ways to cleanse crystals.
* Smudging with sage or Incense
* Moonlight (Full Moon Rituals)
*Energy (Reiki, Violet Flame, White Light etc)
* Place in a Copper Pyramid
* Tibetan Singing Bowl
Always set your intentions, chant play music, create a sacred space, set them on a natural surface and have fun. Find more details on these and more at the end of this page.
InVocation for Cleansing Crystals
- I Now ask that these crystals be surrounded with Divine white Light.
- I ask that any and all negativity be cleansed and released into the light.
- I ask that the full power of these healing stones be restored.
- I ask that their full light and healing energy is empowered to Shine through.
- I ask this according to Divine Will for the highest and Greatest Good. And so it is.
As I have learnt since working with crystals there are many theories out there about cleansing rituals and many suggest water and saltwater, the scientific truth is that water is corrosive to certain types of crystals, it can be like acid to some minerals. Sometimes it can eat away at the surface, other times it just gradually dissolves the crystal over time and can also change colour of certain minerals, it can cause rust and can also make cracks appear. Water can permanently damage them, this isn’t for all crystals but there are definitely many and a good rule of thumb is many stones that end in ‘ite are not water friendly (Labradorite, Calcite, Kyanite, Kunzite, Angelite, Azurite, Selenite as well as Amber, Turquoise, Fire Opal, Moonstone and Dioptase, so if you’re not sure then don’t use it.. I don’t recommend it.
I think the reason many people, experts, and crystal books still recommend this method is because the crystals that were mostly well known such as the Quartz family of minerals such as Amethyst, Clear Quartz, Rose Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Tigers Eye, Agate, Aventurine, Red Jasper and Citrine are all considered safe, but to remember which ones is to hard, and so let’s keep it simple.
You could research Scientific books on minerals or look up Gemology websites to find out about the hardness and more of Mohs hardness Scale but for some rare or recently discovered gems there isn’t enough evidence. I came across an article saying there are also disadvantages of The Mohs Scale (This is a number between 1-10, 1 being the softest mineral and 10 being the hardest) if you ask any mineralogist or Geologist they will explain that this test is not a water solubility test. In testing the hardness of minerals it helps identify them, there are a few tests done even using this scale that doesn’t tell you how the mineral interacts with water and some iron based minerals have rusted or cracked, eg: Hematite has a hardness of 5-6 yet can rust in water, Tangerine Quartz should be fine as its a quartz which is rated 7 on the Mohs Scale but as the orange is created by traces of iron oxide it can either rust or wash off and become a clear quartz, Opals are a 5 to 6 on the scale yet if you put them in water once dry they can crack.
So finally I would never recommend water of any kind in cleansing your precious gems or jewellery as the risk of damaging your precious collections would be heartbreaking.
I am also not a fan of Sunlight at least not for long, as some crystals fade in the Sun, and again there are many to list. If I do a full moon ritual cleanse I will only leave them for an hour in the sun but usually not direct sunlight before bringing them inside to reset the intentions.
Just a few that fade or damage with UV light which destroys colour centers are Amethyst, Citrine, Ametrine, Quartz varieties, Fluorite, Opal, Turquoise and Topaz.
Here are a few more ideas to recharge your gems.
1.You can charge crystals using other crystals. To do this you need to create a circle using several crystals and place the Crystal you want to be charged in the middle, leave this for 24 hours.
2.You can surround your crystal with plants, or bury it in the soil (again if it’s porous I wouldn’t recommend this as it may be too hard to clean off the dirt) But near plants or in the garden can charge it with earth energy.
- Using energy or directing thoughts and intentions, using visualisation, mediation and imagining the crystal be filled with light so bright, saying whatever you believe is the guiding force in your life.
- Cast a Spell using magical practises, you can find these in searching occult rituals or magical practises, or create your own spell, placing it on an altar or special surface and lighting candles, Whatever feels natural to you.
- Cleansing with sound, chanting, singing bowls, humming, singing or bells have all been thought of and used by natives to cleanse and charge crystals. you can place it in the centre of the singing bowl or hold it in your hand whilst you chant or place it on a natural surface at reach where your voice will penetrate the crystal and help purify it.
- Using smoke eg: sage/ incense hold your crystals above the sticks or whatever is burning, sometimes bird feathers are used to fan the smoke. Again do whatever feels right to you.
Lastly, there is no wrong way of doing these rituals. I have suggested a few I know and felt it important to share my knowledge thus far on taking care of your special treasures, I wish your blessing rituals to be wondrous.
Magic to all Dani